Sunday, February 6, 2011

Can you get into medical school without a science degree?



When I made the decision to switch careers and become a doctor, many people asked me if it was even possible getting into medical school without a science degree. A co-worker was telling me yesterday that the only way that I could be successful in medical school was to really want to be a doctor. I do really want to be a doctor, and I would really like to help people in need. In addition to helping people is the fact that doctors make a lot of money. Granted there are high malpractice insurance fees, some as high as $30,000 per year, and high student loans. One thing that actually had me excited to become a doctor was the fact that many states will actually provide student loan incentives for doctors that agree to work in underserved areas. Because that would be my desire regardless of the pay, this is an added bonus.

As for a bit of my background, I have a degree in government from a highly ranked university and a relatively low GPA. For medical school anything below a 3.5 is a low GPA. I have taken statistics which I took pass/fail and received a B. I have taken chemistry and physics in high school however I never took anything but Geology in undergrad. I did have a slightly higher GPA in graduate school where I have an advanced degree. So now 13 years after undergrad, is it possible getting into medical school, even without having taken any science classes?

Recently I discovered that many universities have programs designed to have students complete their entire science med school prerequisites in one year. Or actually the summer, fall and spring. for a total of 12 months. I was interested in the University of Virginia Pre-Med Post-Bac program and also the Post-Bac program at the University of North Carolina Greensboro. Since I am out of state for North Carolina, I would be paying out of state tutition with a cost of $21,000 for tuition and approximately $8,000 for living expenses. When I read the linkage information for UVA's post-bac (GW school of medicine, and Univ. of Pitt school of medicine), I don't think that everyone qualifies for the linkage and it would depend on the applicant's GPA. Since my GPA is not extremely high, I don't think that I would qualify even if I were admitted, so I am leaning on UNCG at the moment.



1 comment:

Followers