Sunday, February 6, 2011

Called Dr. Cannon of the UNCG Post Bac Pre Med Program


I had actually already submitted my application as a 2nd degree seeking student for the May 2011 post bac class. Once I submitted the application, I felt a sense that this is really happening. I am on my way to medical school. I called Dr. Cannon to let him know that I had applied, and to ask a few questions on the admissions process. He was extremely helpful explaining a number of thing about becoming a doctor. He stressed that in addition to a high GPA and MCAT scores, there needs to be evidence that the applicant is interested in helping others. Shadowing, volunteering, hands on medical experience are preferred. He sent a health careers "puzzle" that showed the blocks that admission officers look at when assesing medical school applicants. I read on a medical school student forum that Dr. Cannon's wife is an admission officer at UNC Chapel Hill, so he probably knows extremely well what colleges are looking for. He provided me with a number of books that I should read about information on becoming a doctor.

I was informed the the summer session consisted of General Chemistry parts 1& 2 with labs. The course uses the book Chemistry: the Central Science. From the reviews on Amazon, it sounds as if the solutions to exercises books are good choices as well. The main textbook is quite expensive new, however Amazon has 400+ used copies starting as low as $32.00.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I stumbled across your blog while searching for UNCG post bacc. I was accepted and am very excited but I wont be starting until the fall. do you know what the med school acceptance rate is for the program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

    I don't think that the acceptance rate is very high for medical schools, but some student may enter pharmacy, optometry, or other fields. I doubt that the school even keeps a record. You can call Dr. Cannon and see if he has any information. I have decided not to go to the UNCG program and I am planning on taking Chemistry, and Biology this summer at Tidewater Community College. Even if I can't get in-state tuition, it is still cheaper for me to go there instead of UNCG.

    ReplyDelete

Followers