Friday, February 11, 2011

How can I qualify for in-state tuition?



I called Tidewater Community College today to inquire about in-state tuition. I am planning on trying to kill myself with science med school prerequisites this summer, and I would save over $3,000 if I was declared an in-state applicant. I spoke to a representative in Chesapeake, but she could not answer my questions. She transferred me to the enrollment office where no one picked up the phone. I called the Virginia Beach office and was able to speak to someone in enrollment. I was trying to explain my situation about how I never intended to remain outside the state of Virginia, and that I meet the majority of the factors listed in VA Code §23-7:4 B. I tried to explain the factors that SHEV considers when granting in-state residency and how they apply to me.

1. Continuous residence for at least one year immediately prior to the date of alleged entitlement.
2. State to which income taxes are filed or paid.
3. Driver's license.
4. Motor vehicle registration.
5. Voter registration. b. Actual voting.
6. Employment.
a. If a person has otherwise shown residence in the state with domiciliary intent, unemployment does not preclude a finding that the person is a Virginia domiciliary.
b. Fulfillment and documentation of state licensing requirements in order to be certified to practice a profession in Virginia (e.g., attorney, clinical psychologist, nursing), is evidence of domiciliary intent; however, it is not determinative. Enrollment in but noncompletion of an educational program designed specifically for employment in Virginia is not sufficient evidence that domicile has been established.
7. Ownership of real property.
8. Sources of financial support.
9. Military records.
10. Accepting a written offer of employment with a Virginia employer.
11. Social and economic relationships.

I explained that I had 7 out of the 11 on my side, however the woman at the enrollment office told me that there was an inital level of checking in-state status and I would not pass, she said there are also second and third level, and maybe they would approve me. I think I need to start getting some documents together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers