Thursday, February 10, 2011

Post-Bac Pre-med programs are expensive


So, I am still unsure how exactly I will get my science prerequisites of biology, chemistry and physics for medical school. The UVA and UNCG programs are great in that they can be completed in one year, but both will cost me $20-$25,000 for tuition alone. The advantage is that I can qualify for student loans, but I anticipate it would only cost $5-$6,000 to take the identical classes if I was able to qualify for in-state status at the local community college. Tidewater Community College in Virginia has chemistry I and II in the summer in intensive 5 week sessions, which is that same sequence as UVA's post-bac and UNCG's. I have heard that many college admission officers do not look highly on community college credits, however $25,000 is still $25,000. For someone who already has undergraduate student loans, making payments on those loans and paying the community college tuition may be too much. So far I have sent my transcripts (from 5 schools) to their "missing documents" department at UNCG admissions. Hopefully I will be accepted shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers